Amsterdam is so much more than space cakes, the red light district, clogs and tulips, in fact the city is rich in culture and history, and aside from all that serious stuff, it’s actually blindingly pretty, especially during the summer months, when the trees bloom green and the flowers come out to play. Of course, winter is equally as picturesque, especially when the snow comes, although a little cold for my liking!
Due to the cost of accommodation and leisure activities being so low, this is a good choice for a romantic city break, but what can you do in Amsterdam whilst hand in hand with your significant other?
1) Get your walking shoes on - Walking around the waterways of Amsterdam is a wonderful way to spend a few hours, and the passing scenery is so magical, you won’t help but get in the mood of lurve. Night-time walking is a great idea, because the many bridges twinkle with lights.
2) Share a coffee – Whilst you’re on that walk, sitting in close proximity in one of the cafes, hidden away down a winding street, is a great way to pass time again, and people watching is a fantastic activity. Again, it’s really the scenery that sets the romantic scene, but the vibe is quiet and chilled-out too, whilst sharing a steaming hot cup of coffee and a slice of cake between you … or maybe one each!
3) Charter a boat – You don’t have to be Popeye, but chartering your own private river cruise boat is probably the ultimate coupley thing to do in Amsterdam. Just make sure you choose a reputable company, but you’ll find many on offer, and the cost isn’t as high as you might think. Go on, when in Rome! Or when in Amsterdam in this case …
4) Rent a bike – You’ll find the sheer number of bicycles in Amsterdam quite astonishing, but it’s a great way to ride side by side through the city, and there are many cycle lanes passing through the greener parts of the city. You can take your time too, without being rushed.
5) Rent a bike together! – Moving on from the point above, why not hire a tandem bike? This is sure to bring a few laughs, and after all, laughing and romance go hand in hand.
6) Picnic time – There are many parks and green spaces in Amsterdam, so preparing a picnic of your favourite foods and heading out to sit on the grass, hopefully with the sun above you, is a wonderful way to spend quality time together. Throw in a bottle of bubbly and some strawberries!
7) Head to the skies – The city’s Hotel Okura is classy and has a serious number of different champagnes for you and your other half to sample, all with a breath-taking view of the city from the 23rd floor! Quite special, I think you’ll agree.
8) Flower it up! – We all know that tulips are famous in Amsterdam, but the Flower Market is a wonderful site, with colour and scents filling the air. Treat your sweetheart to some fresh blooms, or surprise them by putting them in your hotel room beforehand.
9) Horse and carriage - A little like the idea of bike riding through the green and beautiful city, why not go back in time and let a horse and carriage be your transport, sharing space together. Can you think of anything more romantic?
10) Pamper! - Whilst there are lots of different options for accommodation, some basic, there are also lots of five star hotels to truly pamper yourself in, and what better way to spoil your guy or girl?
Ten suggestions for you there, can you think of any others?